Sport in the Media Masterclass
Gain insight into various aspects of sports media and its impact on the industry.
The media is critical to the long-term prosperity of sport, playing a vital role in sharing public perception, increasing fan engagement domestically and globally, promoting athletes and teams, and generating revenue through broadcasting rights and sponsorship deals. The current Premier League UK television deal, from 2022 up until the end of the 2024/25 season, is worth £5.1billion alone.
This masterclass offers unrivalled insight and access to experienced media professionals from the world of sport and beyond. Through an immersive learning experience, participants will acquire a deeper practical knowledge of the intersection between sport and media.
Discover from experts at the heart of the industry a comprehensive understanding of the sports media landscape, sports journalism principles and tools to succeed in your career, skills for developing and leveraging compelling content across different media platforms, and the evolving landscape of this sector.
Masterclass Leader & Guest Speakers
Our Sport in the Media Masterclass will be led by the award-winning David Ford, a Global Television Journalist with more than 30 years broadcast news experience at the BBC, Sky Sports News, CNN and Al Jazeera.
Also providing their expertise during this masterclass will be three guest speakers with a wealth of experience from the world of sports media.
Speaking at the one-day in-person experience in central London will be Christina Macfarlane, an Anchor and Senior Sports Correspondent for CNN International and the first woman ever to be named Broadcast Journalist of the Year in 2019.
Then, offering their valuable insights during the online component of this masterclass will be Vincent Hunt, an award-winning BBC documentary maker, and Kevin Bishop, a broadcast news producer and journalism lecturer with over 30 years experience.
The Sport in the Media Masterclass will explore:
An introduction to sports journalism and the sports media landscape
Different sports media platforms: TV, Print, Digital, Social Media, Radio
Developing, creating and leveraging compelling sports content, including the rise of sports documentaries
Expert techniques in delivering broadcast and audio bulletins, attending press conferences, conducting interviews, writing match reports and film-making
Ethical considerations of the media, including separating fact from fiction
The evolving landscape of the industry direct from experienced media professionals at the heart of the sector
David FordGlobal Television Journalist
Award-winning David Ford has more than 30 years broadcast news experience at the BBC, Sky Sports News, CNN and Al Jazeera. He began his journalism career as the Macclesfield Town reporter at Messenger Newspapers before moving to BBC Radio Leeds, Radio London and Radio Five Live. He produced news shows on BBC One and the News Channel before spending eight years as the Executive Producer at Sky Sports News. David later spent ten years as a programme executive at CNN and now works as a programme editor at the Al Jazeera news channel in Qatar. He is a lifelong Manchester City fan. DavidRead More
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the sports media landscape.
- Identify sports journalism principles and tools to succeed in the industry.
- Identify fundamental techniques of sports broadcasting.
- Explore strategies for leveraging social and digital media platforms.
- Develop skills to produce engaging content specific to the industry.
- Stay up to date with the latest advancements in sports media technologies and platforms.
- Enjoy a unique level of access to people of prominence in and around the sports industry.
- Establish new relationships and expand your professional network.
- Gain practical knowledge and insight that can be applied in your workplace and career.
- A certificate from City Football Leadership Institute upon successful completion of the masterclass.
Who Should Attend
Masterclasses are open to any individuals looking to develop fresh perspective and understanding of the role media plays in the sports industry.
Whether you are just starting your career journey or are well established within your sector, this immersive masterclass will offer you a learning experience that will be beneficial to both your professional and personal development.
We welcome any individuals who are:
- 18 years of age and older.
- Current working professionals in the industry.
- Currently studying for or graduated with a media related qualification.
- Aspiring for a career within the sports media sector.
- Interested in the sports media landscape.
Masterclasses will be delivered via a one-day in-person experience in central London, followed by ten hours of online content that will be split across multiple two-hour live virtual sessions.
The central London location is 30 Bedford Square, WC1B 3EE.
The dates and times (UK) of our November masterclass are listed below.
- In-Person Experience: 24 November 2023, 9am – 5pm
- Online Content Schedule: two-hour live virtual sessions:
- Tuesday 28 November, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Thursday 30 November, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Tuesday 5 December, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Tuesday 12 December, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Tuesday 19 December, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
The dates and times (UK) of our January masterclass are listed below.
- In-Person Experience: 19 January 2024, 9am – 5pm
- Online Content Schedule: two-hour live virtual sessions:
- Tuesday 23 January, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Tuesday 30 January, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Tuesday 6 February, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Tuesday 13 February, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Tuesday 20 February, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
The ten hours of online content will be delivered and split across multiple two-hour live virtual sessions.
All virtual sessions will be recorded and made available to masterclass participants after the session has taken place.
Register now for one of our Sport in the Media Masterclasses before places get fully booked.
The next available date to attend is Friday 24 November 2023, with another masterclass running Friday 19 January 2024.
Masterclasses do not require an application to attend. Interested participants can simply register and join the course.
Our suite of masterclasses offer participants unrivalled insight and access to industry experts. Each masterclass has been tailored to provide an immersive learning experience for those seeking to acquire a deeper practical knowledge of a specific area in the business of sport.Explore
The Business of Football
An educational grounding in the football business ecosystem, exploring everything from the economic forces to value creation, and how new phenomena alongside existing trends contribute to one of the world’s biggest sports.Explore